EVK becomes a better dining hall

When considering what college to attend, prospective students pay close attention to a place’s aesthetics and living conditions. Often, one of the major aspects they consider is the food in the school’s dining halls.

Last spring, I came to campus as a prospective student for the “Explore USC” program. I remember having dinner at EVK and feeling disappointed in its disorganized structure, dull colors and bad lighting—especially in contrast to the newer Parkside Restaurant that served the students living at the southwest corner of campus.

When I arrived on campus last week, I was pleasantly surprised to see that EVK’s colors, lighting, and structure had changed. EVK’s summer renovations have significantly improved the dining hall’s appearance, making USC a more attractive place for students to live.

Last year, EVK’s poor aesthetic quality suggested to its visitors that the food was poor quality too. Who would expect great food to come from an outdated, ugly dining hall? Now, however, EVK is brighter, cleaner, and more efficiently organized, offering distinct salad, sandwich, and hot food bars, as well as cereal, dessert and beverage stations. The quality of the facility has strengthened student trust in the quality of the food.

The change in EVK’s environment has not only made it a more appealing place for current students to dine and spend meaningful time with one another. It has also made campus life seem more attractive to those considering attending USC in future years.

When I visited USC, the condition of EVK made me question whether or not I would truly enjoy my on-campus living experience. Prospective students today get a much better impression of the campus dining options and of USC in general.

The new dining hall style and structure has turned EVK into as much of a pleasant place to dine as any of the newer eateries on campus, and has improved the overall appeal of living at USC.