‘Traditional’ prom shows homophobia

The ladies, donned in beautiful long dresses, are touching up their make up, guaranteeing a perfect picture that each will remember for the rest of her life. The gentlemen linger in the foyer in their rented tuxedos, anxiously awaiting their Cinderellas to appear at the end of the hall.

It’s that time of year again: prom night, the infamous high school dance when students can wear their fanciest attire, bring a date and dance the night away. It’s often a night to remember and a night that younger freshmen and sophomores look forward to.

Unfortunately, this wish may not come true for certain students at Sullivan High School in Wabash Valley, Ind.

This year, there is a new demand for a “traditional” prom — a dance that does not allow any homosexuals to attend. Some students and teachers, all who attend the Sullivan First Christian Church, claim the dance would only perpetuate the idea that homosexuality is acceptable. Though the school itself claims that such a traditional prom would take place off school grounds and would not officially be sanctioned by the district, the problem of those attempting to force their homophobic agendas on the small town remains.

The proposal would certainly collide with the main purpose of education: to open the mind to new ideas and ways of thinking. With global connections expanding, these students are not too far away from being working adults in the professional world. If a simple event like a school dance discriminates against homosexuals, then students might take that home as a lesson. Looking at themselves as righteous, these young teenagers could enter the real world not accepting diversity in what is a very diverse world whether they like it or not.

High school is a place of learning, both academically and socially. One learns how to treat another person the way he or she wishes to be treated. Segregating those who don’t “fit into the mold” only teaches young students that everyone in this world is not, in fact, created equal.

In a time when same-sex marriage debates are playing out across the country, it is important to begin the march toward equality at the smallest level, especially when the danger that gay teens experience increases daily.

According to the Huffington Post, gay teens in conservative areas without programs that support gay rights attempt suicide significantly more than straight teens. In a study with 32,000 subjects, roughly 20 percent of gay teens stated that they had attempted suicide while a mere four percent of straight teens said that they had. Constant bullying and segregation only contributes to this epidemic.

Those wanting a traditional prom need to realize that holding a prom that invites all is not a way of brainwashing America’s youth. Once citizens begin to realize that homosexuality is not a disease or a choice but simply a fact of life, then we all can start to properly live by our constitution, which guarantees the right to liberty and happiness for all.

Religious freedom is sacred in this country, but the United States also has a duty to protect its citizens — regardless of their sexual orientation. If members of Sullivan First Christian Church and Sullivan High so desperately desire to rob students from a momentous night in a high school student’s life, then they cannot say that they believe in the founding ideals of our nation.

Joyce Chang is a sophomore majoring in communication.

1. Indeed!
    Indeed! says:

This condemnation is ridiculous. At USC, we had a LGBT Prom last year which I assume was exclusively for the LGBT community and allies. If some folks want to start a traditional prom independently, that’s their right to do so. Instead of whining (which liberals are so exceptionally good at), you should (or folks in that town) start a LGBT prom – EVEN tho they are already invited to the regular, sanctioned prom. Its like anything else – quit complaining if someone privately makes their club or event exclusive and make your own if you care so much.

2. Liberty Minded
    Liberty Minded says:

Force. Government is force. Do we really need the government to force people to include government favored groups of people into their lives?
    Does government force allow the pursuit of happiness for all or only the government protected groups?
    Is there a concept of privacy left in this country?
    Are individuals or groups of individuals allowed to choose with whom to associate?
    Is not choice a natural right?
    Is there any choice that is still reserved to individual persons or are all decisions subject to government veto?

3. Sean
    Sean says:

Rich,
    One can’t observe the fact that people have the same right to host a private non-gay prom as much as gays have a right to live their lives, and then complain that stories are being published calling out homophobia. The general public has as much of a right to publish stories (en masse) calling out homophobia in society just as much as people have a right to be homophobic. As far as gays “respecting” heterosexuals’ explicit and vocal disgust for their natural instincts, well that itself is a two-way street. If heterosexuals are justified in showing disgust for gays’ natural instincts toward each other, then gays are just as justified in showing disgust, offense, and incredulity at those heterosexual reactions. Personally, I don’t think the way toward change is found with mutual respect for one another’s active disgust and contempt.

4. Rich
    Rich says:

My point being, stop trying to make it look like the straight person is a evil mean person because they have natural instinct to be repulsed by gay behaviour. The more you do that, the more thicker the wall gets for most people.

5. Rich
    Rich says:

Christians have just as much a right to be offended by the behaviour of those of the gay community as those of the gay community have a right to live their lives. Since this prom is private, they have a right to invite whomever they want. That being said, I would like to see a day when being gay isn’t a big deal. It is natural for a straight person to be disgusted by two people of the same sex kissing etc…it’s the way the straight brain works. Until that’s accepted and respected by the gay population, nothing will change. This type of change needs to be a two way street of respect and consideration.