USC student found dead off campus

According to the Dept. of Public Safety, a USC student was found dead in his apartment on Sunday night.

The Marshall School of Business released a statement identifying Thu Yain “Roy” Kyaw as the deceased student on Monday.

At approximately 9:30 p.m. on Oct. 27, DPS and the Los Angeles Police Department responded to a call on the 1300 block of West 29th Street. Kyaw’s roommates were not home at the suspected time of his death.

“Upon arriving, [officers] discovered the male lying down unconscious and not breathing,” LAPD Public Information Officer Rosario Herrera said.

The cause of his death has yet to be determined by the coroner’s office, but officers do not suspect foul play.

A representative at the Los Angeles County Coroner’s Office said that an individual was found in a residence on 29th Street in Los Angeles, but his identity has not been confirmed. He said that it could take several weeks to determine a cause of death because the autopsy will likely need to include a toxicology report.

NBC Los Angeles reported that according to the coroner’s office, Kyaw died of “acute alcohol toxicity.” A representative of the coroner’s office told the Daily Trojan, however, that the rumors of alcohol poisoning that have surfaced are unsubstantiated.

Dean James G. Ellis said in the statement that Kyaw was a sophomore from Singapore who was involved in Marshall programs such as last spring’s Learning about International Commerce (LINC) trip to Budapest.

“This loss has hit our community particularly hard, as Roy’s older brother is a senior at Marshall,” Ellis said in the statement.

Ellis urged Marshall students who knew Kyaw to contact Associate Dean Kim West, their advisor or counselors in Student Counseling Services or the Center for Work and Family Life for support.

Follow us on Twitter @dailytrojan

• USC student
      USC student says:

How about instead of closing the row for good…we add a sixth principle to what it means to be a trojan…faithful, scholarly, ambitious, courageous, skillful, and RESPONSIBLE! However, we need to remember that this was a preliminary report and an official cause of death has not been released.

My condolences to the family and Marshall community