Society must seek to understand Sikh community

If there is a land where you can dream of something and achieve it, it is the United States. At least that is what they say. He had heard this a million times before. In movies, in books. This was the whole concept of the United States. And that was what he kept reminding himself.

He feared that people would taunt him, make racist comments. He–, they might even attack him. This was not going to be easy. But then he thought he could be wrong. After all, this was the cultural melting pot of the world. All religions accepted, all races one.

The spirit of the United States accepts all and leaves none.

The plane taxied. After some walking, he found himself at the immigration check. Student Visa and his I-20 got him through the immigration easily. But he had started to notice something. Even though they said nothing, he could feel it in their eyes. Those angry stares. His smiles got no response.

He knew this was going to be tough.

He took a taxi directly for the university in Downtown Los Angeles. As he got out of the taxi, he heard angry voices. It was a group of skateboarders, practicing their flips near one of the university fountains. They couldn’t be more than 14 or 15-years-old. But what struck him most were their words.

“Yo, my cousin said he knew one of the Seals who hunted Osama.”

They made sure he could hear them.

It hurt him. His parents had warned him of this hurt, but it still did hurt — it pierced his soul.

Somehow he managed to find the International Student Affairs office building. He took the elevator to the sixth floor with an elderly lady. He was quite sure she would be scared, taking the elevator with someone who looked like him. But then it all changed.

She looked at him and said, “Aren’t you a Sikh, my dear?”

He caught his reflection in the steel elevator wall. The lady must have recognized his turban, beard and the iron bracelet on his right hand.

He smiled and said, “Yes ma’am, I’m a Sikh.” His faith in the U.S. spirit was restored. He felt that now he could call this land “home.”

This short story is a way to educate people about the racism that happens with the Sikhs in the United States — sometimes accidentally and sometimes not so accidentally. Sikhs wear turbans and keep unshorn hair and beards, as mandated by Sikhism. They become a target of hate comments because of their appearance. But Sikhs are one of the most peace-loving, hardworking, valiant and loyal people. They believe in Seva (community service) very strongly. They love to dance (lookup Bhangra), love to eat and love to talk. They have a very proud history, originating in India. They have helped in building foundations of many nations, including Australia, Canada, the United Kingdom and the United States, to count a few. We even have a Sikh Student Association at USC that tries to spread awareness about Sikh beliefs and culture.

So the next time you see a Sikh, smile.

Jaskaran Singh Khalsa

Graduate student, computer science

1. ras
    ras says:

I was at Canter’s once in the Fairfax District and I saw a group of black teens making fun of a Hasdic man at the way he was dressed and appeared. I have also seen numerous times black teens make fun of Asian people – not so much for they way they were dressed – but just for merely being Asian. However, we rarely hear the progressive media talk about black young men needing to learn more about tolerance.

Yet, it seems the media LOVES to talk about people of color being discriminated against by THE MAN. We just can not get enough of this POV.

I am not saying the author of this article is wrong to feel the way he does. I am just saying we need to stop selectively choosing when we think racial prejudice is wrong.