Address would derail Israeli politics

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is set to address a joint session of Congress on March 3 at the invitation of House Speaker John Boehner. Considering the tradition of notifying President Barack Obama of scheduled congressional speakers, it is rather odd for Netanyahu to give a speech in the United States without prior consultation with the president, and particularly perplexing considering he’s set to make his appearance a mere two weeks before elections in Israel, where he and his party are up for re-election.

Both Democrats in Congress and factions within Israel disapprove of Netanyahu’s planned appearance. His visit shows that he is willing to politicize diplomacy in order to achieve policy goals. Netanyahu and Republicans have no particular affinity toward the Obama administration policy on Iran.

Talks among world powers on the Iranian nuclear issue are set to expire March 23. Netanyahu, as a foreign head of government who is up for re-election,  plays with fire in giving a speech. On the world stage, contemporary geopolitical literature reads the United States and Israel as strong allies in a region which Israel hardly has any. With a move like this, it demonstrates to the rest of the globe that the relationship is becoming less and less United States-Israel and increasingly more Republican-Israel, which would teeter the delicate balance in Iranian relations.

Netanyahu’s decision to accept the invitation is further damaging considering he’s not scheduled to meet with the president during his trip to Washington. It’s hard to imagine diplomacy taking place between two powers when the two leaders fail to meet. If the relationship between Israel and the United States is going to continue having any clout, then it is imperative that the two parties appear in sync and a sense of parity in terms of diplomatic goals must be met. On the Israeli front, is it fair to the other parties to allow Netanyahu to effectively stump into a foreign country with a wider audience? Considering that Netanyahu and his competitor, Isaac Herzog of the Labor Party, are in the middle of a very competitive headlock, Netanyahu’s speech might further alienate himself from not only the Labor Party, but from voters as well.

Many view national security as one of the most important issues in the election this year. Voters want a leader who can ensure their safety and defense against any attack. Going to Congress with fierce rhetoric over Iran is an opportunity for Netanyahu, who is already facing increasing criticism within Israel, to underscore his commitment to Israel’s safety. Though he might see his speech as an avenue to broadcast his message, voters in Israel are growing tired of the political drama that accompanies their prime minister wherever he goes.

There is just too much on the line at the moment for Netanyahu to address Congress. Since Israel was wrought from war in 1948, the United States has been allies with the Jewish state, staying by its side through treaties, negotiations and a myriad of wars. For much of that history, it has demonstrated an attitude that kowtowed to the policy demands of Israel. Now, rather than curry the favor of Netanyahu and express support of a stauncher anti-Iranian nuclear-power policy, Netanyahu should analyze the implications of his visit, which he refuses to cancel. On the same token, how would the international community respond if British Prime Minister David Cameron accepted an invitation to speak in front of the German Diet at the behest of Bundestag President Norbert Lammert without the knowledge of Prime Minister Angela Merkel? Or how would Republicans react if Obama invited Pakistani President Mamnoon Hussain for high-level anti-terror talks without informing a single senator or representative?

It benefits neither the United States nor Netanyahu if the latter addresses Congress. Putting politics ahead of diplomacy and advancing a policy agenda with no regard for global ramifications is shameful and irresponsible. It puts at risk the United States-Israel relationship and makes politics the narrative rather than substantive discourse on important and serious policy decisions that affect an entire region. It is unlikely that Netanyahu will cancel his appearance, as he sees this as an opportunity to further push sanctions and tougher rhetoric toward Iran. The best option in order to mitigate any fallout or damage from the embattled planned appearance is to schedule it under a closed joint session of Congress, rather than making it available to the public. With elections around the corner, this speech is one risk that Netanyahu is apparently willing to take, a risk that is a mistake.

Athanasius Georgy is a sophomore majoring in economics. His column, “On the World Stage,” runs Thursdays.