USC CIO and Vice Provost of ITS steps down

ITS over · USC Chief Information Officer and Vice Provost of Information Technology Services Peter Siegel resigned from his executive positions on Monday. Douglas Shook has been named as his interim replacement. - Photo courtesy of USC News

ITS over · USC Chief Information Officer and Vice Provost of Information Technology Services Peter Siegel resigned from his executive positions on Monday. Douglas Shook has been named as his interim replacement. – Photo courtesy of USC News

USC Vice Provost for Information Technology Services and Chief Information Officer Peter Siegel resigned from his position Monday, effective immediately.

In a memorandum to the USC community, Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs Michael Quick announced Siegel was stepping down and lauded him for his work at the university.

“His leadership helped propel USC’s Information Technology Services (ITS) department forward in vital ways through his commitment to enhancing cybersecurity and network infrastructure,” Quick wrote in the memorandum. “Vice Provost Siegel worked to stabilize key administrative functions by centralizing systems for human resources, finance, and research administration. “

Siegel was also recognized for his emphasis on risk management and garnering “effective communication” between ITS and academic and administrative units. He originally joined USC in July 2013. Previously, he served as the CIO and vice provost for Information and Educational Technology at the University of California, Davis.

The memo did not specifically state Siegel’s reasons for leaving, but Quick encouraged the university community to “[wish] Peter well as he tackles his next big challenge.” Quick’s office would not make further comment on Siegel’s plans.

In his place, Douglas Shook has been appointed interim vice provost for ITS and CIO, effective May 1. Shook currently serves as the dean of academic records and registrar and chief technology officer for enrollment services. His role as registrar will be filled by Frank Chang, who is currently the associate registrar at the office of the registrar.

Katharine Harrington, vice president of admissions and planning, will assume the additional role of dean of academic records. Quick mentioned that the appointment of an advisory search committee will soon be announced. The offices of Shook, Chang and Harrington were not available for comment as of end of business day Monday.

“This position is crucial to building a robust information system that can serve the needs of the university for years to come and bolstering USC’s role as a leading private research university committed to the public good,” Quick wrote.

1. überfahr
    überfahr says:

Hopefully this will help align USC toward forging its own digital technology destiny, based on student and faculty needs and not those of systems administrators and IT managers.