Nepal’s devastation requires world aid

On April 25, a 7.8-magnitude earthquake rocked the small, mountainous country of Nepal. The death toll so far has topped 5,000 and is expected to rise. A poor country with very little infrastructure, Nepal has a long road ahead to rebuild. Not even 10 years have passed since the end of its civil war, and an unstable political environment compounded with the lack of resources means that Nepal will need the help of the international community to overcome this steep obstacle.

In 2006, Nepal’s decade-long civil war finally came to end. A constitutional monarchy had ruled Nepal before a Maoist group rebelled, seeking political representation. In 2008, the Maobadis won the first post-war elections. The political environment was still volatile, however, and the Nepalese government today still lacks the control and power to function properly.

What has suffered even worse than the political process in Nepal is the economy. Nepal’s economic structure is three-headed: agriculture, remittances and tourism. Seventy-five percent of the Nepalis are in some way involved with agriculture. Agriculture makes up 30 percent of Nepal’s GDP and is one of the largest forces in its economy. With the earthquake virtually wiping out entire stretches of land, it will be very difficult to recover the lost agriculture. The land that was destroyed in the earthquake will first have to be cleared of debris and rubble, and then reclaimed for agricultural use.

The second-largest component of the Nepalese economy stems from remittances — money sent by Nepalis back to their home country from abroad. The lack of jobs and career opportunities in Nepal have propelled some of the labor force to find work elsewhere, mostly in the Gulf states. The recent earthquake leveled homes and buildings, and most of those who moved for work will now be forced to go back to Nepal to help rebuild. Without adequate money and manpower, Nepalis will be stuck trying to balance redevelopment with putting food on the table.

Though it is not the largest component of the Nepalese economy, tourism is perhaps the country’s most notable industry. Tourists flock to Nepal year-round, with its beautiful, centuries-old architecture and landmarks seeped in the grandeur of art and culture. Home to Mount Everest, Nepal is also the starting line for hikers, adventurers, geologists and even those daring enough to climb the world’s tallest mountain. Many who were on the mountain when the earthquake struck were trapped, either crushed by the ensuing avalanches or unable to receive help because of the chaos below them.

The earthquake has decimated Nepal’s infrastructure, and tourism is sure to decline in the coming months and even years as people become wary of traveling to Nepal. Whereas before many were concerned about the stability of the government, most are now apprehensive of the geologic stability of the country itself. Nepal and the entire region are prone to large earthquakes, and tectonic plates from India will continue to push up against the Himalayas (after all, that’s how the mountains were formed initially). That does not mean Nepal or the surrounding countries should resign themselves to ill preparation, however.

Here in Los Angeles, “the big one” has been predicted for decades — and who’s to say when or if that will happen — but measures have been taken in the event that such an earthquakes hits. That’s why we need to think about Nepal in this case because the country lacks the infrastructure and money to prepare for another earthquake, and it is going to require the world community to help rebuild. Education is imperative — the country should receive coaching on how to reconstruct their buildings with the appropriate technologies in the event of future natural disasters. Ultimately, the political and economic climates are not advantageous for tourism now, but the global population shouldn’t abandon Nepal. The outpour of support on social media needs to be furthered.

It’s going to take a Mount Everest-sized effort to help Nepal climb and overcome this mountain.

Athanasius Georgy is a sophomore majoring in economics. His column, “On the World Stage,” ran Thursdays.