Four on-the-go snacks to keep you fueled for success

Photo courtesy of HealthAliciousNess, flickr.com

I sit down in my three-hour lab section, and, without fail, my stomach starts to grumble. The worst thing about having back-to-back classes isn’t, as I thought, speed-walking frantically from Kaprelian to VKC in 10 minutes while dodging bikers and skateboarders. It’s the non-stop chit chat from my stomach when the clock strikes 6 p.m. For those of us that have class during our usual lunch and dinner times, the best way to cure “hangriness” is to pack a good snack.

1.  Get in on the almond hype.

Make use of your freebie water bottle collection and grab some almond milk from CVS. Almond milk is light but filling. Unlike regular milk, it does not have to be refrigerated yet is still rich in vitamins and calcium. For you sugar-conscious Trojans, many brands of almond milk come in unsweetened flavors. Instead of reaching for Gatorade or Coke, almond milk with added ice is the perfect energy drink to get you through your late night classes. Almond milk has a longer shelf life than dairy milk, so buy in bulk to save on this drink. 

1. Try fruit-based snacks. 

Have extra dining dollars? Stop by Seeds before class and pick up fruit crisps or chips. Portable yet packed with nutrients and natural sweeteners, fruit-based snacks like apple chips will satisfy your cravings with a little extra crunch. As with almond milk, cut the price tag in half by buying in bulk or ordering directly from the supplier.

1. Fill up with nuts. 

While there are a lot of snack bars on the market, it is important to choose wisely. Many “healthy” bars are loaded with sugar and high fructose corn syrup, keeping you awake just long enough to crash harder. Avoid protein bars, which are often coated with chocolate, and opt instead for nut bars. Almonds and pecans are high in “good” fats and make you feel full. 

1.  Straight cheesin’. 

If you are looking for protein-rich snacks, but want to avoid the sugar, try string cheese. A good on-the-go option, individually packaged cheese is easy to scarf down between classes and, like nuts, is rich in good fats. Some types of cheese come in “raw” forms, including certain varieties of Colby and Cheddar, which also have probiotics.

Packing a healthy snack for a long day of classes can give any overstretched student just the right boost, and by planning ahead, trendy foods like almond milk and fruit crisps can add variety to your snacking without breaking the bank.