Avocado love: Five recipes to quench your obsession

Samantha Lee | Daily Trojan

Samantha Lee | Daily Trojan

Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to introduce you to my scrumptious soulmate: the avocado. Yes, avocados are very much part of the green health craze that I previously discussed, but they also hold a place near and dear to my heart. Not only are they powerhouses packed full of 20 nutrients, including potassium and Vitamin B, but they are also low in sugar, full of fiber and are filled with monounsaturated fat, a “good” fat that helps lower cholesterol levels, decreases your risk of heart disease as well as improve brain activity.

According to the Huffington Post, a single avocado contains 975 milligrams of potassium, which is crazy because a banana, well-known for being exceptionally loaded with potassium, has about half that, with 487 milligrams per large fruit.

That being said, avocados are also one of the most versatile food options out there –– they can be combined, blended, sliced, smeared or enjoyed au naturel. Check out a few of my favorite college dishes that showcase this green gift sent from above.

1.     The Classic Avocado Toast

This is quite easily one of the simplest creations out there, but also one of the tastiest combinations ever to be made. You simply take toast and smear on avocado like you would a spread. I like adding some chili flakes on top and a little squeeze of lemon. Balsamic vinaigrette and tomatoes also pair very nicely.  

1.    The Eggocado

This dish only requires an egg, avocado and an oven. With a spoon, carve out a hole in the middle of two avocado halves. Lay the halves on a baking dish and carefully crack one egg into each slice. Bake this in an oven for 15 minutes or more depending on how cooked you enjoy your eggs. When it’s ready you can add salt and pepper. Also, if you’re a fan of poached eggs, you can easily poach one and then add it to the cut center of an avocado.

1. Avocado Fruit Salad:

Avocados can be easily paired with any type of fruit for a rich taste of sweetness and creamy satisfaction. Though it sounds counterintuitive, I like mixing avocados with watermelon and feta cheese. It is a simple mix that can be prepared quickly if you have the ingredients. I also love eating avocado salads with figs and kale, which pair really nicely with the taste of avocado. Below are two recipes that have my stamp of approval.

http://www.ilanafreddye.com/blog/anafreddye.com/2012/06/summer-salad.html

http://kaleandchocolate.com/recipe/roasted-kale-fig-avocado-salad/

1. Avocado Smoothies:

Because it’s packed with healthy fats, avocado has a creamy texture that accentuated when mixed with ice and fruit into a smoothie. It makes the consistency yogurt-like, but incorporates added nutritional benefits. I like adding blueberry, raspberry, strawberry and mango to mine. Even if you throw some kale in there, the flavor will be masked by the smoothness of the avocado and the berries. Sprinkle a few chia seeds on top for some added love.

1.  Avocado Hummus

Blend avocados in a blender with chickpeas, olive oil and a bit of tahini. You’ll have an incredible, easy-to-make spread, perfect for crackers or carrots. As we all know, an avocado a day keeps the bad cholesterol away!