UCLA Student Body President: A bet is a bet

USC Student Body President Rini Sampath and I made a bet. The wager was that the president of the school that lost in Saturday’s game had to write something nice in the opposing school’s newspaper. Daily Trojan, here I am sticking to my word. While I am sad that the Bruins lost, I am honored to have the opportunity to write this piece.

UCLA vs. USC is a longstanding crosstown rivalry. It is one that extends from the classroom to the field and leaves no Bruin or Trojan without feelings of immense competition and opposition toward the other. It is a tradition for every Bruin or Trojan to compare anything measurable from academic ranking to NCAA Championships to food in the dining halls. Growing up with a father who is a proud Trojan alumnus, I know what a “house divided” truly means.

While demonstrating unwavering support for our respective schools, there are times when we need to set aside our differences and recognize things greater than our rivalry. This past Saturday, I had one of those moments and was very moved by the University of Southern California. It was not because the team played a great game or because the band entertained the crowd with a fantastic halftime show. It was because of one specific member of the Trojan family: USC long-snapper Jake Olson. According to ESPN, Olson was born with a rare cancer in his retina called retinoblastoma and was left completely blind by age 12. He had been a fan of the Trojans for years, and it was Coach Pete Carroll who introduced Olson to the team when he was a child, making him part of the Trojan family. His connection to USC did not end there. Olson realized his dream of being a Trojan football player and became their long snapper, wearing the cardinal and gold with pride. By working with NCAA and scholarship regulations, the Trojans made it a top priority to provide the opportunity that Olson deserved. To the Orange County Register, he said, “It felt right. Being there before, in a travel suit or not in uniform, something inside of me was saying, `Get in a uniform. That’s where you belong.’”

It is Olson’s optimism and positive attitude that motivates those around him. Quarterback Cody Kessler explained to the Los Angeles Times, “He never makes excuses, he never complains about anything. He’s out here working his butt off.” In the same piece, Carroll stated, “He is one of the greatest competitors I’ve known. He epitomizes the spirit of ‘Fight On!’”

Though I have not personally met Olson, I felt his presence Saturday throughout the stands. During a timeout in the game, the Trojans honored Olson by bringing him onto the field and telling his story on the jumbotron. Bruins and Trojans alike became one as they heard about Olson’s inspiring journey. Every person in that stadium became a member of Team Olson, united by his commitment and tenacity to never abandon his dream.

Trojans, I must admit I am impressed. It is your students and your athletes that have shown me the strength of solidarity and support of your fellow Trojan, Jake Olson. And Jake, you have shown me what positivity and perseverance truly mean. Each of us may say “Fight On” or “Go Bruins,” but all of us say “Go Jake.”

Heather Rosen

UCLA Student Body President

Correction: This article previously stated Olson had rhinoblastoma. He has retinoblastoma. The Daily Trojan regrets the error.

1. Thekatman
    Thekatman says:

I have an oustanding $20 eachbet with two Bruins alumni. I’m still waiting for them to pay up. One guy told my wife he doesn’t remembermak I ng the bet. Figures. Another bRuin loser and he’s a very wealthy man, just not in character.

2. Jon Parssinen
    Jon Parssinen says:

Assuming that Jake is considered “for real” by the Trojans, and our opponents, I’m looking forward to him playing football as much as he is. Well, maybe not quite that much. Is there any plan for this to happen?

3. imthekuni
    imthekuni says:

Great write up Heather. For the sake of accuracy, Jake had retinoblastoma (not rhinoblastoma). GO BRUINS!

4. Don Harmon
    Don Harmon says:

Heather, you are a credit to UCLA and if I were a student there, I would be proud to claim you as a fellow Bruin. Student Body President? You are a fine leader who sets a great example of sportsmanship. Best of luck to you.