Safe space for straight men fails to forge real change

Lisa Kam | Daily Trojan

Lisa Kam | Daily Trojan

Millennial bashing brings a certain sort of violent pleasure to all those over 50. Words like “entitled,” “babies” and “softies” are tossed over the generational divide like in the days of trench warfare. Unsurprisingly, most millennials feel this judgement is unfair and rather ironic, for they see themselves unlearning and fixing the social problems that older generations perpetuated.

One such problem that they feel the need to rectify is for the exclusion of minorities. Safe spaces have popped up all over college campuses for minorities to find refuge in a break from prejudice. There are debates scattering the Internet over whether or not these spaces are a good idea or a liberal assault on freedom. However, one such safe space has taken the concept to a whole new level by catering to the one group that no one ever thought would need one: heterosexual males. It’s a clever take on a liberal-protected practice, but ultimately falters when it comes to making impactful change.

University of Redlands’ student organization, DUDES — standing for Dudes Understanding Diversity and Ending Stereotypes — sounds more like an SNL sketch than an unusual take on the concept of the safe space. The idea that everyone is oppressed and needs a safe place to talk about issues is justifiably part the reason many older people are trashing college campus environments as of late, culminating in the University of Chicago’s ban on safe spaces. The heterosexual males at University of Redlands having the audacity to create a safe space to discuss their issues is a blow to hardcore liberals who are steadfastly convinced that these men sit around all day in a palace of pure gold, accepting Wall Street job offers and waiting to date-rape women. The truth is that most people, regardless of minority or privilege status, have issues and questions that would best be discussed with others in the same position. The guys in DUDES tackle big issues such as pornography and “authentic masculinity” in order to create a college campus that is inclusive for everyone. There is little reason to believe that DUDES is not having a positive impact on those who attend to “unlearn” traditional masculinity.

However, it is hard to believe that these boys have nothing better to do than sit around and talk in a circle every week about the way others perceive them. Surely, the attendees for DUDES are doing a lot of talking and discussing, which is the golden mark of real learning according to most liberal universities. In fact, the most important part about a college degree is not the knowledge acquired but the ad infinitum, circular discussions where no one is wrong, but respectfully disagreed with. Saying that someone is wrong would be too exclusive, and then a safe space would have to be made for them too.

Though a bit over-the-top, the concept of safe spaces makes sense when college students operate in an learning environment where stereotypes have become the main enemy, not hunger, homelessness or the refugee crisis.

But stereotypes leave no one labeless — even straight white guys.

Stereotype has become one of the worst words in the English language. Unless what is being discussed is the periodic table, everyone better keep their observations to themselves. Of course, it is useless to attack the entire concept of stereotypes and the nuanced arguments for and against them in our society, but for all intents and purposes, in general, stereotypes are considered to be bad. The most liberal, proactive college students want to combat stereotypes and make it their mission to do so. Nevertheless, few dare to add the question at the end of their discussions with free pizza: so what? So what that maybe, 10 people engage in a discussion that might be eye opening but most likely forgotten within a couple hours? Of course discussions where students unlearn ideas are thrilling. Men being told they do not have to be macho or look at pornography must feel like a weight they can’t even lift in the first place has been removed from their shoulders. But does there really need to be a whole club devoted to this sort of stuff?

A great many students erroneously think that a discussion will fix everything. In the case of DUDES, these young men are simply changing the way they perceive themselves and the standards to which they are held. In reality, they are hardly changing anybody’s opinion on straight males. When it comes down to it, the majority of hiring managers in the workfield will not think twice about the fact they face certain negative biases about masculinity because someone is a hetereosexual male. To some degree, safe spaces have a purpose of not only providing refuge but awareness to the majority communities. Minorities face biases, especially in workplaces, and being part of a cohesive group can help raise awareness. When a majority, like straight males, come together to talk about their specific challenges, they are drawing attention to themselves in a harsher light. They are the last group to come together to raise awareness for their plight. Nevertheless, their problems are real problems. Pornography is a real problem. The expectation of testosterone-fueled masculinity is a harsh reality for many young men who do not feel like they live up to that expectation. But it is surprising that an entire club is devoted to these questions. Perhaps these men are doing what they have always done, just under the unusual label of “safe space” which has caused alarm among confused liberals. The point of a safe space is when these negative biases affect day to day life and opportunities — a category under which DUDES do not fall.

Ultimately, these young men can spend their free time however they wish. If organizing discussions that should be already happening naturally amongst friends is what needs to be done, then so be it. However, creating a “victim-status” from being a straight guy is only confirming what the older generation thinks of millennials. There is real action to be taken on college campuses that includes much more effort than sitting in a circle.

1. GeorgeCurious
    GeorgeCurious says:

Bwaahahaha!! DUDES… This is hilarious. I feel like I am in the middle of the movie, The Big Lebowski. Life imitates art far more than art imitates life.

2. Lunderful
    Lunderful says:

Manufacturing an issue is one thing, but inventing descriptors is another – to wit – “violent pleasure”. Did you invent that in a safe space?

3. Don Harmon
    Don Harmon says:

No one deserves to be insulted, verbally abused, slighted, etc. Certainly, nasty personal comments about race, religion, appearance, gender identity, etc. are disgusting and low. This is obviously undesirable at USC. Sadly, this happens in the outside world and always will.

A “safe space” at USC is counterproductive. It is merely a way of forming weaklings unable to withstand others’ verbal aggression. Still, if USC, God forbid, decides to implement this kind of inane action, may it help its graduates to find employment where all is sweetness, kindness, sisterhood and brotherhood. If USC cannot place its graduates in such paradises, it is failing to help them prepare for the careers they hope to achieve . . . in our world, one lacking safe spaces to coddle and protect them.