Trojans refuse to overlook struggling Buffs

Looking to avoid mistakes and remain atop the Pac-12 South rankings, the USC football team is approaching this weekend’s game against the Colorado Buffaloes as if it is a championship game.

Craving a win · Sophomore linebacker Su’a Cravens has been a force for the Trojans at multiple positions, leading the team with 9.5 tackles for loss. Cravens knows that overlooking Colorado would be a mistake. - Ralf Cheung | Daily Trojan

Craving a win · Sophomore linebacker Su’a Cravens has been a force for the Trojans at multiple positions, leading the team with 9.5 tackles for loss. Cravens knows that overlooking Colorado would be a mistake. – Ralf Cheung | Daily Trojan

A Championship a Week

A few crucial mistakes throughout the season have put the Trojans in a position where the only path to the NCAA playoff involves the difficult task of winning the rest of their games. This tall order has the team treating every game as if it is the last game of the season and embracing a championship mentality.

“[Head coach Steve Sarkisian] said it right after the Arizona game, next week’s another championship game,” sophomore linebacker Su’a Cravens said. “Colorado’s going to give us their best shot just like every other team that comes to the Coliseum. We have to be ready for the punches they’re going to throw.”

Sarkisian noted that practice on Wednesday was very positive and that he was pleased with the team’s attention to detail. He believes that the guys are starting to fully understand the routine of every week and that they are in a good frame of mind leading up to the Colorado game.

“We have a half-game lead in the conference and we need to keep that lead, and to do that, we have to go out and win every game,” Sarkisian said. “I’ve been using the same message I’ve been using since last week, this is a championship game. They all are from here on out.”

60 Minutes

One of the main problems that the Trojans have run into in the past couple of games is failing to play 100 percent for all four quarters. They have allowed fourth quarter comebacks in consecutive weeks, leading to a 1-1 record in those contests.

“We can’t let teams come back in the fourth quarter or let them build momentum in the second and third quarters,” Cravens said. “We have to finish, we have to learn how to finish. I’ve been saying that for the last three weeks; we have to finish when it matters.”

Cravens’ words were echoed by defensive coordinator Justin Wilcox, who added that the defense has to work on getting off the field and not allowing their opponents to convert on key plays that extend drives.

“You have to be able to play with a calm mind and trust your training, your instincts, your techniques and finish those plays,” Wilcox said. “You have to get off the field on third downs.”

Buck for Heisman?

After another impressive performance in a win against the Arizona Wildcats, redshirt junior tailback Javorius “Buck” Allen has put himself into the Heisman Trophy conversation. Allen tied for sixth in a weekly straw poll conducted by HeismanPundit.com. He also received the honor of being named Pac-12 Offensive Player of the Week.

Though USC has been known in the recent past as a pass-happy offense, junior quarterback Cody Kessler seems content with the way the offense is rolling with a ground attack led by Allen.

“If Buck [Allen] wants to run for 200 yards and three touchdowns, that’s fine with me,” Kessler said. “I take my money on Buck [Allen] any time.”

Praise for Allen does not stop at his on-the-field production. Kessler lauded his teammate for being one of the hardest-working Trojans, a mindset that resonates with the team.

“He’s at practice every day,” Kessler said. “He just carried the ball for 200 yards. He could have easily taken Tuesday off or been light, but he’s been out here taking every rep, taking guys out so he can take reps. That’s something I respect about Buck [Allen].”