Students have much to offer economy

As students at a leading private research university in California, we have a duty to more than simply notice the escalating gap between the rich and the poor in the United States and abroad.

Amy Lee Ketchum | Summer Trojan

Timothy Smeeding, a University of Wisconsin-Madison professor who specializes in poverty said to USA Today, “More than other countries, [America] has a very unequal income distribution where compensation goes to the top in a winner-takes-all economy.”

But these income gaps threaten social and economic stability in every country.

Last month, social affairs ministers from around the world met at the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development Conference Centre in Paris to discuss high and increasing income inequality in their 34 member countries and emerging economies. The meeting provided a step forward to bettering the benefit sharing process through globalization.

Students must utilize their undeniable ability to get involved to carry on the conference’s economic prosperity ideals. Whether it be by becoming a member of the Joint Educational Project on campus or working for Teach for America after graduation, doing so can aid in lowering the disparity between the wealthy and those in poverty. A university education is key to moving up the social ladder.

Teach for America places graduated students in rural and urban public schools with an aim to expand educational opportunity. According to the program’s website, “Our [Teach for America] alumni … [work] to effect the fundamental changes needed to ensure that all children have an equal chance in life.”

JEP works toward the same goal, allowing USC students to learn firsthand about critical issues facing urban communities, especially in our area.

Students can combine coursework with the unique opportunity of volunteering your talent for tutoring with USC ReadersPlus and America Reads/America Counts. Pre-med undergraduates have the option to assist with health services and education.

While we have several opportunities on campus to help ensure the success of our community, larger organizations, such as the OECD, have taken major steps to solidify success on a large scale.

The conference focused primarily on the social impact of the global economic crisis and what governments can do to help children and families promote gender equality and improve pension arrangements.

It provided devastating statistics based on child poverty in the wealthiest 40 countries, which account for 80 percent of world trade and investment. The United States ranks fourth in largest percentage of children who live in poor households, after Turkey, Mexico and Israel.

The convention tackled three main themes: social policies for recovery, responsibility to bettering family income and intergenerational solidarity. In this arena, students can voice their ideas for ways to help the program succeed. Ideas such as integrating the use of technology within every classroom in America are integral to this process.

But if we can take notice of these statistics and the patterns of disparity, it is vital for us as young people, as the future of the economy, to recognize the dedication groups such as the OECD and the United Nations put forth for the future. By doing so, we should be quick to join our own version of giving back for the greater cause with JEP, Teach for America or organizations similar to them. If we can be of assistance in any minor way, we can improve our economy, and those statistics.

Students are placed in a unique position, a position that could ensure the world’s economic prosperity. They are integral to the success of our economy, and it is imperative we get involved and use our knowledge to help those who do not have the same opportunities we are given.

Anne Easton is a senior majoring in philosophy, politics, and law. Her column “Beyond Figueroa” runs every other Wednesday.

1. Carlyle
    Carlyle says:

Yes students are placed in a unique position. I would like to see some of these students start doing some pro bono work for the poor in their individual skills.