Undocumented students are in need of the DREAM Act — Point

A recent Supreme Court dismissal of an appeal against a law allowing undocumented California college students to receive in-state tuition rates might nudge Gov. Jerry Brown toward signing the much-needed state DREAM Act into law.

Jovanna Tosello | Summer Trojan

The continued offering of in-state tuition rates, which has been legal for the last 10 years, is a small victory for a select group of neglected adolescents who deserve amnesty.

And while it is somewhat justifiable to blame parents for not anticipating the consequences of trying to put their undocumented children through school, we should not take away a student’s right to excel at institutions of higher learning.

According to the Los Angeles Times, an estimated 41,000 University of California, California State and community college students benefit from the law (AB 540) — less than 1 percent of total enrollment in the state. Twelve other states in the United States enforce a similar law.

An appeals group based in Washington plans on challenging the law again despite the Court’s recent dismissal.

In essence, attempts to repeal AB 540 discourage this select group of students from pursuing their dreams in a country where success is largely measured through professional and educational accomplishments. Placing their destiny out of their own control is unwarranted punishment.

To a certain extent, AB 540 significantly grants students financial rights in state education, but the DREAM Act legislation, or something similar to it, is necessary in order for undocumented students to receive benefits they’ve earned.

Legislation like the DREAM Act sets up a strict path for students who take their future seriously enough to follow a law-enforced educational or military plan toward legal residency. The bill does not grant eligibility to those who have been in California for less than five years. It requires a high school diploma and a clean background, and the student must graduate from an institution of higher education. The bill undoubtedly sets a high standard.

Some undocumented students have turned out to be the best and brightest found in the higher education system.

We cannot deny their potential by not allowing them to attend universities where those with legal residency and citizenship so often take for granted the incredible privilege of being born in the right place with the right means.

Former Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger vetoed the state DREAM Act each time it was presented to him, beginning in 2006. While campaigning for governor, Jerry Brown promised to sign the DREAM Act if the bill ever reached his desk. 2011 might finally be that year.

California’s Senate Education Committee voted 7-3 in favor of AB 130 last week, which would make undocumented students eligible for non-state, private scholarships offered by state public schools. Soon, the committee is expected to vote on AB 131, which would make those same students eligible for state financial aid such as the Cal Grant.

Jirayut Latthi, an undocumented student and senior at UC Berkeley told Color Lines, “A lot of things are really uncertain, you don’t know what’s going to happen to your family or how things are going to work out, and you spend so much time waiting for things to happen or living in fear of deportation, so education can be this kind of light. There’s the hope that if we work hard, our education will liberate us and help us become successful because by that point we’ve earned it.”

Whether we choose to blame irresponsible parents for seemingly taking advantage of the system or not, we cannot punish their offspring for that which they never controlled. Instead, it’s time to show that hard work comes with reward. No matter one’s legal status, an education is never worthless.

Melissa Caskey is a senior majoring in print and digital journalism, and she is chief copy editor of the Summer Trojan.

For a different opinion on this issue, click here.

1. Critical mind
    Critical mind says:

A few quotes:

Every human being has the right to freedom of movement and of residencewithin the confines of his own country; and, where there are just reasons forit, the right to emigrate to other countries and take up residence there”(Pacem in Terris, 25)

The willingness for one country to accept persons across the borders and offerthem a home is emblematic of the unity of the human family and an act of human solidarity

more significant factor in the environmental crises has been therise of consumerism and over-consumption: “In many parts of the worldsociety is given to instant gratification and consumerism while remainingindifferent to the damage which these cause. Simplicity, moderation anddiscipline, as well as a spirit of sacrifice, must become a part of everyday life,lest all suffer the negative consequences of the careless habits of a few”(Pope John Paul II, The Ecological Crisis, III.13) The Church teaches that our desire for material goods, shaped from theworld’s natural resources, should never surpass our concern for the commongood. Yet affluent nations, the chief perpetrators, have been slow to changetheir excessive consumerism.One prime example of this reluctance is the West’s continued dependence onoil. More than thirty years after the gas shortages of the 1970s, governmentleaders are still discussing incentives and strategies to move to alternativeenergy sources. Although numerous automotive technologies have beendeveloped to lower the U.S. consumption of oil, auto manufacturers and thebuying public have been slow to adapt.”

Why?? because it is a way of life that we are used to and truth be told, it is hard to give up luxury for necessity.

2. A Common Thread
    A Common Thread says:

First of all, common misconception put to rest. No human being is “ILLEGAL” the people you are referring to are undocumented. Thinking and comparing to the conditions one would put on humans considered illegal would be like bring back the slave trade which im sure everyone would agree is not the case here.

Dear Have fun…:
    Your comments prove ignorance and are a bit disappointing not only in regards to the other university (UCLA), but in regards to M.E.Ch.A as well. That organization not only works towards empowering ‘Chican@s’ but towards empowering individuals regardless of culture, race, or gender. This group focuses on improving the educational system which im sure we all can agree still has a long ways to go before it can compare to the education received worldwide. Also as much as your intuition towards saying that MEChA holds a majority of the influence at the other school, I know a few other organizations that would claim just as much influence if not more. There are also Asian empowerment groups, Black empowerment groups, women empowerment groups, LGBT etc. You should visit the other campus, Im sure you’d be pleasantly surprised.

One should not rely on fed information, but should go out and seek the truth. Use your critical mind and investigate what you are really being told and your sources…

USC Alum:
    “environmental/ecological stress wrought by unchecked illegal immigrant population growth? what about the drain on our resources (energy, water)? what about the strain on our infrastructure?”

Growth, let alone humans is not illegal. We do not operate using the same political systems as China and India. One of the many reasons you can say you live in the United States of America. Second most of the environmental and ecological stress comes from the wealthy that over consume and waste, especially on things that they don’t need or use only once before throwing it away. Not to mention the gallons of water they use to water their lawns and excessive gardens over twice a day. Or the lights left on in office buildings throughout the day and night in downtown LA. If you seek to blame anyone look in your own back yard: it’s capitalism and it’s effects that you are seeing. The consumption rate of U.S. citizens, North Americans, us is pretty high for a country of our population and one of the highest in the world. [Reference international research organizations]

I would recommend an Econ course, some Poli Sci and a bit of International relations. The SPPD program would also be a good place for you to look into learning a bit more about these topics and I do encourage it.

And if anyone is looking for the source of misinformation, yes look towards those we elected. Why is it that politicians seem like such a club? because it is, secrets, mistakes, failures, lost or squandered money: it all happens and stays there. Unless we get a good watchdog of sorts, but even then, now a days…no one wants to be the hero (aka martyr) . Why? because our system makes it impossible let alone suicidal to consider such a thing: Capitalism

For answers, follow the money, and question who holds it and for what it is being used.

3. Have fun performing your menial labor job with the BA degree you attained
    Have fun performing your menial labor job with the BA degree you attained says:

My question is this: How do “illegal” students contribute to the economy, when LEGIT college educated people have a hard time finding employment as it is?

“Illegal” students aren’t inundating academically rigorous institutes like MIT or med school. How do identity-politics, “social phenonmena observing,” gov-studies type disciplines solve things like finding the cure for cancer; engineering a fuel to replace fossil fuels after they’re completely depleted; and so forth? They don’t. And universities need to permanently truncate these dumb-dumb majors, or relegate them to “diversity” requirements at most.

The economy sucks as it is now, and it’s not improving. Even prior to the economy tanking in 2008, it’s not like “college educated” automatically meant job security or higher level income, etc. Bullshieet.

How do a plethora of those with BAs under their belts contribute to this economy? More succinctly put, how do undergrads with nonpragmatic, non-STEM majors contribute to it? My cousins, friends, acquaintances came out of “high & mighty” academically prestigious schools such as Cal Berkeley, that school across town…and even here with BAs in sociology, linguistics, poli-sci and every other worthless study of “I’m young, progressive, and want to change the evils in society that whitey perpetuates, and he owes me a living”…and none of them found promising careers even after diligently trying; and this is prior to 2008. Ain’t nothing changed.

• Arturo Fernandez
      Arturo Fernandez says:

I’d just like to dismiss this “image” of undocumented studies as ethnic studies and sociology majors because it is not one that covers all students. I am undocumented and a rising senior at UC Berkeley double-majoring in applied mathematics (economics) and statistics. I know plenty of other undocumented students who are majoring in things like biology, engineering, and other sciences. The whole “what-major-to-choose-and-how-it-helps-the-economy” discussion is not only applicable to undocumented students but to all students.

4. David
    David says:

I think Dream Act needs to pass. People say that they are illegals and criminals. But they are college students who can contribute to the growth of US. These kids won’t go back to the country where their parents came from because they lived in US for the rest of their lives. But if we kick them out, it’s a waste, and we are sending the students who are educated out, while our OWN kids are playing games, using drugs, and wasting their lives. Illegals are the ones who actually study hard. Even UCLA came up with a study saying that if we gave illegals green cards and passed the Dream Act, it will generate 1.5TRILLION DOLLARS for our GDP. Also, these kids will mostly go to army to get citizenship. I seriously don’t get why people don’t want the Dream Act to pass when it will give us more money and army will get bigger.

• "Have fun..."
      "Have fun..." says:

Yes, and identity-politics, Chicano-studies classes will be the bulk of those universities’ majors, that’ll really spur the weak economy *sarcastic, condescending tone.*

“Even UCLA came up with a study saying that if we gave illegals green cards and passed the Dream Act, it will generate 1.5TRILLION DOLLARS for our GDP” -UCLA yaps a lot. And it’s not because it’s the rival school to SC. UCLA is strongly influenced by a Chicano-empowerment, MEChA sentiment.

• usc alum
      usc alum says:

“our OWN kids are playing games, using drugs, and wasting their lives. Illegals are the ones who actually study hard.”

this is according to… you?

“Even UCLA came up with a study saying that if we gave illegals green cards and passed the Dream Act, it will generate 1.5TRILLION DOLLARS for our GDP”

awesome. but what about the environmental/ecological stress wrought by unchecked illegal immigrant population growth? what about the drain on our resources (energy, water)? what about the strain on our infrastructure?

5. erwin navarro
    erwin navarro says:

This is the only law that makes sense when it comes to illegal immigration. These are students, not criminals they are simply people who want to excel in the United States.

6. Sally Oxendine
    Sally Oxendine says:

The problem with the United States of America is that we the people have voted for representatives who have deceived us and will continue to deceive us until we vote people with morals, values, and a fear of the only living God into government. The people who pay taxes are supporting all those individuals who have always relied on the government(our tax dollars) to send them a check in the mail/give them food stamps to survive. I’m talking about illegal aliens from any country who is living in America illegally and any American who has made a lifestyle of living off the government. I support giving assistance to the disabled, the sick, the elderly, children, but not those individuals who can WORK and should be made to WORK and not to illegal aliens. Most of the representatives(democrat, republicans and others) have a vested interest in being a politician–they have personal access to the largest bank in the United States of America—THE BANK OF TAXES PAID BY AMERICAN WORKERS. Americans have been asleep for Decades—no longer will we our government to spend(steal) tax payers money without checks and balances from the American Citizens. Watch Your Backs.