Cyberbullying epidemic need solutions

Harassment, humiliation, teasing, aggression. Cyberbullying, at a glance, seems identical to the traditional school-yard fights and classroom antics that have always existed. In the years since the advent of social media, however, cyberbullying has posed challenges that can be more difficult, in a way, than physical belittling.

Xingzhou Zhu | Daily Trojan

Xingzhou Zhu | Daily Trojan

Though cyberbullying and its dangers have stepped from behind screens into the light long ago, it needs more attention and action from communities, schools and parents. Above all, it needs addressing by teens and young adults themselves — bullies and victims alike.

Though extremes, such as banning cyberbullying altogether — as a recent case in Maryland is seeking to do — are a stretch, stepping seriousness up a notch will do a world of good.

Cyberbullying — the use of instant messaging, email or social media to harass, threaten or intimidate — undoubtedly treads uncharted waters in today’s increasingly wired society. It poses unique challenges, from anonymous perpetrators to the ability to harass someone around-the-clock. A recent special report by CNN found that up to 25 percent of teenagers have experienced cyberbullying at some point. And, in the last 30 days, 10 percent of teens have been cyberbullied, according to a University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire survey of 15,000 middle and high school students.

What’s more is that it has arguably more impact on a child’s development and mental health than physical bullying. Another recent study by the International Criminal Justice Review reported that 28 percent of those cyberbullied — compared to 22 percent of those physically bullied and 26 percent who receive only bullying texts — were most likely to have considered suicide.

From the statistics alone, cyberbullying should definitely be considered a threat. The issue takes on a human face through stories such as those of the late Amanda Todd, whose high-profile suicide epitomizes the danger of cyberbullying when kids, emboldened by anonymity, go to vicious lengths to torment others. Cyberbullying can follow both victims and bullies from youth to adulthood, with onsets of depression, panic disorder, agoraphobia and thoughts of suicide. Bullies themselves are at risk of antisocial personality, according to CNN.

There’s a harder way to regulate bullying online because Internet activity does not have regulation or an organization that steps in when things get out of control.

There are some things that can help. Historically, there have been schools that refused to discipline students if the bullying didn’t strictly happen on school grounds. In the coming years, school authorities should intervene to prevent the escalation of cases.

Speaking out against cyberbullying, for oneself and for those around, is another way to help. WeStopHate.org, a nonprofit organization, does just that. Founded by Emily-Anne Rigal, a victim of bullying in elementary school, WeStopHate.org is just one group dedicated to helping people who have been bullied and providing a safe space to share stories.

Using the Internet for the better, scientists at MIT have been working on another solution: A system that will give bullying victims coping strategies, encourage bullies to think twice before typing and allow onlookers to defend victims. Just these solutions alone open the door for many more alternatives that could yield a better solution in the future.

There are still many out there that dismiss cyberbullying as an issue that can be easily “fixed” by just telling victims to quit Facebook or other social media sites. Shutting down the computer doesn’t make the problems go away, though. For victims who have had fake Facebook pages made by perpetrators, the issue creates not just rumors, but self-esteem-destroying lies told by faceless bullies. The cyber world extends into the real world, with real-world consequences. To seriously fix the issue, people have to change the mindset of victim-blaming and address cyberbullying for the monster it truly is. Getting both the bystanders and the bullies of the world, online and offline, to understand this will lead to change.

Valerie Yu is a freshman majoring in biological sciences and English. Her column “Heart of the Matter” runs Fridays.

1. Kristin Matysik
    Kristin Matysik says:

Solutions are being offered by the creators of “Submit the Documentary” they have an online resource center for educators, parents, and teens on this growing topic. They also just released a cyberbullying documentary that tells the stories first hand from the victims families that are affected by this epidemic. They also have free screenings and paid screenings for school to spread awareness on this cyberbullying topic.

2. Janice
    Janice says:

Need help, My kids are active online user, and they are more exposed about this cyber bullies. How can i monitor what they’ve been doing online and who are they communicating.? any recommendation for this problem where i can keep updates about their online stats… Hope someone can help.

• Janice
      Janice says:

hi Janice, we do have the same problem, my kids spend most of their time online, they’ve been accepting lot of friends without even checking if they knew them. It also bothered me, so i found several solution on how can i monitor their updates while they are online, what are their postings and who are they communicating with. I have tried some online software like netnanny, but now i’ve been using pg guard. You can try it, it works well though.. Hope this helps..

3. Azzarra Shea
    Azzarra Shea says:

It’s sad to know that bullying has becoming into an online-form already. As parents, we should be vigilant with our kids’ activities especially that all these bullying issues are on the rise, leading them to becoming the victims or worse, the bullies themselves. I just read a blog that really stuck me to the core. A mother, writing about her own child’s safety and their heartbreaking experience.

4. Jourdan DeVies
    Jourdan DeVies says:

Bystanders have a huge role to play in combatting cyberbullying. We created a documentary on cyberbullying called Submit the Documentary. If you think cyberbullying is an issue that needs to be addressed, check out submitthedocumentary.com
    No Bystanders is the only way!

5. Rich
    Rich says:

Cyberbullying is a legitimate, serious issue but if people really want change, the answer is to do something about the awful Communications Decency Act Section 230. Many internet companies do little to stop cyberbullying because of greed. Backpage, for instance, knows they have child sex trafficking ads on their site, but they do nothing about them because they don’t want lose ad hits as sick as it is. Websites like the the worst of the lot, Topix, don’t require users to register and accept no responsibility because of that law. It isn’t a case of free speech because libel and defamation aren’t protected speech. Because of that law companies can’t be sued directly and that is why they do nothing. Change that law where they can be sued directly if they fail to provide stronger safety measures or knowingly allow bullying and defamation to go on, yet do nothing about it and you will help immensely with the problem.