Sanchez to be honored with an alumni award

Former USC quarterback Mark Sanchez will receive the inaugural Young Alumni Merit Award at the annual USC Alumni Awards on April 30.

As a member of USC’s Rose Bowl championship teams from 2007 to 2009, the 6-foot-3, 225-pound quarterback was voted the 2009 Rose Bowl Offensive Most Valuable Player.

“Mark Sanchez is a brilliant athlete and a dedicated Trojan,” said USC Alumni Association CEO Scott Mory in a press release. “We are proud to present him with our inaugural Young Alumni Merit Award.”

After being selected fifth overall in the 2009 NFL Draft by the New York Jets, the Long Beach native became the first rookie quarterback in the NFL to win his first five games as a starter.

Sanchez has also won more road playoff games in NFL history than any other quarterback. This year marked his second season in the NFL.

With a career total of 41 touchdowns and 3,965 yards with USC, Sanchez earned the merit award based on his leadership through his years with the team.

While playing for the Trojans, Sanchez earned the starting quarterback position as a junior in 2008 and started three times in 2007. He redshirted his freshman year in 2005.

The USC Alumni Association has been recognizing distinguished members of the Trojan family since 1932. The Young Alumni Merit Award was established in 2010, and will be honoring recipients for the first time this year.

In addition to Sanchez, nine other Trojans will be recognized in April for their accomplishments and contributions to USC.

1. USC Trojan
    USC Trojan says:

“Sanchez has also won more road playoff games in NFL history than any other quarterback.”

Sanchez actually shares the record (4 wins) with Len Dawson, Roger Staubach, Jake Delhomme, and Joe Flacco.