Libya has no US benefits

President Barack Obama announced last week that military operations in Libya would be primarily shifted to our NATO allies.

Yet we still pledged to support the mission to depose Colonel Muammar Gaddafi — a pledge that can and will cost billions of dollars if we continue our support.

Not only is this financially detrimental and irresponsible of our government, it will not accomplish anything that will benefit the American people.

According to the Associated Press, Abdel-Hafidh Ghoga, vice chairman of the National Provisional Council, said in a recent interview that “Libyans as a whole, and I am one of them, want a civilian democracy, not dictatorship, not tribalism and not one based on violence or terrorism.”

Obama himself admitted in an address to the nation last Monday the situation in Libya does not threaten the safety of Americans.

“There will be times, though, when our safety is not directly threatened, but our interests and values are,” Obama said.

It seems clear those interests and values are less about democracy and more about our dependence on finite resources.

True, Gaddafi does not necessarily exhibit the American values of democracy and freedom.

But there are countless other examples of nations even worse at espousing such values.

Take, for example, the genocide in the Sudan, Joseph Kony’s kidnapped child soldiers in Uganda. What about Iran or North Korea?

The sad fact is conflict is a part of human nature, and as long as this nature is coupled with corrupt political regimes it will continue to be an irremovable blight on humanity.

Ideally, we would have the resources and manpower to end all humanitarian crises and install democratic governments around the world. But we don’t.

Instead of extending our defense budget to areas where it will not aid in the actual defense of the American people, we need to allocate our resources more wisely.

A good start would be withdrawing support of NATO in Libya, paying our dues to the United Nations and letting actual humanitarian organizations take over.

Increased government spending in Libya does not benefit Americans in any tangible way, despite what Obama said about our “interests.”

For proponents of involvement in Libya, it all comes down to oil.

Rep. Edward Markey (D-Mass.), a ranking member of the House Natural Resources Committee, summed it up best in an interview on MSNBC, saying, “We are in Libya because of the oil. It all goes back to the five million barrels of oil we import from OPEC on a daily basis.”

Libya produces 2 percent of the world’s oil supply, 16th among the world’s top oil producers. And since the conflict, the prices of oil have gone up.

Although oil is undoubtedly important to our economy, the expenditures involved in supporting NATO operations in Libya will likely cost us more money than our lack of Libyan oil would.

We have no sure way of knowing when stability might be restored in Libya.

For all we know, it could extend as long as the war in Vietnam did.

By no means am I antiwar. War is absolutely necessary for the protection of the American people in some cases. But this is not one of those cases.

Obama is handling this crisis relatively well in transitioning power to the NATO coalition and asserting he will not order ground troops to intervene.

But continuing to spend money we don’t have for gain we are unsure of in the first place cannot be a wise move.

Right now, the budget deficit and guarding the safety of American citizens is more important and this pork barrel spending will only serve to increase the deficit.

Despite the president’s statement that our involvement with Libya supports American “interests and values,” it seems to do quite the opposite.

Sarah Cueva is a freshman majoring in political science.

1. Rich Salas
    Rich Salas says:

last time we followed a policy like the one you described, we eneded up going into a world war because no one was around to make sure dictators didnt take over govts all over the world. this policy is cowardly and short sited. This a knee jerk reaction to an issue that is much much bigger then Libya itself. I agree we dont need to support NATO or the pitiful UN….but we need to stay on top of what is going on in the world, and keep engaged. If we dont, it wont turn out very good in the end. The results would be terrifying.

2. Arafat
    Arafat says:

Wow! Talk about someone under the influence of leftist professors. If you really believe the common, everyday Libyan wants democracy than you really will believe most anything.
    *****************

Here are some reasons Islam and democracy are incompatible.
    • Inimical to ‘social freedoms’, demanding that all people obey their 7th century moral codes without question or criticism, under penalty of death.
    • Inimical to ‘man made’ laws, claiming that their laws are given to them by God/Allah and all must obey them, in submission, under penalty of death.
    • Inimical to the ‘social contract’ that is democratic constitutional government, for the people and by the people, in pursuit of ‘life, liberty, and happiness’, as these are ‘man made’ ideas, and to submit to them over Allah’s laws is apostasy, punishable by death.
    • Inimical to the ‘rights of individuals’ to pursue their own ideals and beliefs, freedom of worship, freedom of inquiry of truth, freedom of thought, freedom of speech, freedom of artistic expression, freedom of loving other human beings, freedom of choice, freedom of pursuing one’s life with reciprocal respect for others regardless of race, religion, or ethnicity, or sex, as these are our ‘inalienable’ rights; to pursue these may be punishable by death.
    • Inimical to ‘democratic freedoms’ as protected by (man made) constitutional laws agreed upon by social contract to protect the rights of individuals, but in favor of ‘dictatorship’ politics supported by the Ulama with the ultimate goal of imposing a universal Caliphate dictating all society according to (Allah/Mohammad’s) Sharia, where submissive obedience is rigorously mandatory, under penalty of death.
    • Inimical to intellectual ‘secularism’ in all its forms, in education, in philosophical inquiry and discourse, in the sciences, in religious studies, in history studies, in sociological studies, in anthropological studies, in archeology studies, if these are not in concordance with the ‘religious’ teachings of the Koran, except as studies of ‘infidel’ societies to be subdued, conquered for conversion, to pay the jizyah, or be put to death.
    • Inimical to social ‘equality’ of all human beings, especially of the female sex, women kept in oppression as chattel for procreation and sexual gratification of males; as submissively obedient house slaves in violation of the sanctity of their personal humanity, unfree to seek life as they desire but must live in fear of their male masters who will punish them if they disobey, for violating their ‘honor’, with death.