Construction, outreach shift attendance

The USC Catholic Center is experiencing a decrease in Mass attendance without a permanent structure on campus, but an increase in attendees at its events.

Construction · The Catholic Center, on Hoover Street, has been under construction since October 2010. Masses are currently held in a classroom in Grace Ford Salvatori Hall. - Victoria Gu | Daily Trojan

Mass, which was previously held in the old Catholic Center on Hoover Street, is now being held weekly in a classroom in Grace Ford Salvatori Hall.

“Mass attendance is down because it is [at the] far end of campus,” said Father Lawrence Seyer, pastor at the Catholic Center. “We are pretty sure it will bounce back.”

Some students said although the Catholic Center does not currently have a permanent home, it still has an important presence on campus.

“Social events still have great turnouts because the people a part of the Catholic Center are very outgoing and friendly so it motivates people to come out,” said Catholic Center Liturgy Coordinator Joy Phan.

Students walking by the corner of 32nd Street and Hoover Street can see the progress of the new Catholic Center. The center will include a new European limestone-designed church that will seat up to 350, a community center, outdoor courtyard and an events plaza.

Regardless of the location, some students still regularly attend Mass, and are looking forward to the opening of the new Catholic Center.

“I still go to Mass every Sunday,” said Anita Dukart, a sophomore majoring in print and digital journalism. “I can’t wait to see what the new Catholic Center looks like. I think it’s going to bring a lot of people together into one positive community.”

Seyer feels the upgrade will expand the possibilities for the Catholic population to come together and better serve the community.

“I’ve noticed the difference,” Seyer said. “Whereas before when I talked with someone I’d say ,‘that church on Hoover’ and they wouldn’t know what I’m talking about.”

The Catholic Center plans to continue steady promotion of social and religious events at the center and cater to its growing Catholic population.

“We just need to spread the word since we don’t have a recognizable building,” Seyer said. “We are pretty sure it will bounce back.”

1. edward hay
    edward hay says:

Thank YOU for clarifying that, Natalie.
    I would really like to know where Catholics going to this church will be able to P A R K …..?
    Without a Parking Structure, it sure makes scrambling for a parking spot, before Mass, a stressful time…maybe that’s why people won’t come?

2. Natalie
    Natalie says:

I’m on the Catholic Center leadership team, and I’d just like to point out that mass is actually held in SAL (the Salvatori Computer Science Center), not GFS.