Letter to the editor

Honors designations are unfair to transfer students.

If you are a graduating transfer student with a 3.7 GPA and you’re thinking of leaving with magna cum laude honors, think again.

Upon transferring, you are led to believe that you have been issued a blank slate. The separation of transfer GPA and USC GPA is understandable, since you are no longer a student of the previous institution.

But issues arise when the school decides to factor in your transfer GPA when determining honors assignment at graduation.

When determining honors status, the university takes into account the average of students’ residence work attempted and the combined transferred and residence work attempted. The honors award is then determined by the lower of the GPAs.

Students that transfer in with a lower GPA but boast a higher GPA while attending USC have the most to lose. If the university is trying to prevent transfer credits from providing an unfair GPA boost, why should it allow transfer credits to unfairly damage one’s GPA?

A revision in policy is needed. Though some may argue that transfer students receive less damage to their GPA because they did not spend as much time at USC, we have to remember that transfer students work just as hard to get to USC and continue to work hard during their residence here.

While the university boasts of integrity, honesty and fairness, transfer students continue to be cheated from their rightful recognition in receiving honors.

Linda Man 

Junior, communication

1. John
    John says:

Right Matt, it’s not like any students get in as freshman, but choose to attend JC for 1-2 years since they’re prudent enough to understand the implications of an extra $45k/year of debt.

Oh wait… that happens quite often.

2. Matt
    Matt says:

Boo hoo. You weren’t smart enough to get into USC as a freshman and now you don’t get an award from a school you are lucky to be getting a degree from in the first place. Cry me a river.