Pageant brings out worst in America

Millions of viewers watched Sunday night as Miss New York Nina Davuluri joined the ranks of Americans who have been the first in overcoming social and racial barriers: She was the first Indian American woman crowned Miss America. As Davuluri erupted into tears of joy, enraged viewers angrily lashed out on Twitter, sharing their frustration at the ethnicity of America’s newest beauty. The contrast between these two reactions showed that as a whole Americans in this country are not ready for new definitions of beauty. These Twitter users show that the gains for minority groups are only symbolic and that these racial biases stunt progress in American society.

Wendy Fu | Daily Trojan

Wendy Fu | Daily Trojan

For the first 43 years of the beauty pageant, the contestants all looked similar: young, white women. As time went on and the face of America expanded and changed, the organization responded by crowning more women of color. According to its website, “Miss America represents the highest ideals. She is a real combination of beauty, grace, and intelligence, artistic and refined. She is a type which the American Girl might well emulate.”

Though the organization’s judges have not changed their views on the ideal American Girl, some viewers still have not. Some tweets accused Davuluri of being a “Muslim,” “Arab,” “7-11 worker” and even went as far as calling her a “terrorist.” Additionally, they lamented the fact that Miss Kansas Theresa Vail, a tattooed, gun-toting white female who happened fit their ideal Miss America, did not prevail.

Davuluri represents the America we live in. She was born in Syracuse, New York, attended the University of Michigan and is focused on education. She also happens to be very talented and beautiful.

Yet the fact that Davuluri’s win caused such controversy shows that everyone in this country is not on the same page. The fact that so many Twitter users felt comfortable making these racist accusations about Davuluri highlights that there are many misunderstandings when it comes to cultural differences.

This racial outrage toward Davuluri is not an isolated incident. They occur every once and a while, usually after a member of a minority group makes an accomplishment. When 10-year-old Mexican-American Sebastien de la Cruz sang the National Anthem at the NBA Finals this past June, Twitter users called him a “wetback” and “illegal.” In September, a white Florida State University student implied on social media that black students at the university should actually be attending the historically black Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University and called them monkeys. And in July, President Barack Obama was subjected to the same outcry when he spoke about the Trayvon Martin incident. Twitter users called President Obama a “n-gga,” “criminal” and “race baiter.”

Direct confrontation is needed to eliminate our country’s racial bias. As the Miss America organization exposes all of America to more diversity and cultural awareness, a conversation regarding race and ethnicity needs to be generated. Some people have never even participated in this discussion on race at all.

Because Miss America is a nationally televised program that draws viewers from all 50 states, the District of Columbia and two U.S. territories, this is an ideal opportunity to spark a discussion between Americans that involves race. Though often considered a taboo topic, it goes a long way when members from minority groups not only succeed on the national platform but acknowledge their unique position to discuss race. Not to mention the fact that the U.S. was colonized by those escaping religious prejudice and were  in essence, immigrants themselves.

During a press conference shortly following her win, Davuluri responded to the criticism she received online saying, “I have to rise above that. I always viewed myself as first and foremost American.”

In that same way, those who still harbor racial bias must rise above it to fully embrace the new face of America that is more diverse than ever.

Jordyn Holman is a sophomore majoring in print and digital journalism.

Follow her on Twitter @jojoholmey

1. Jeff Brennan '92
    Jeff Brennan '92 says:

With education disintegrating in front of our very eyes, is it any wonder America is so ignorant?

Stupid is as stupid does….

Turn off the devices, pull your heads out of the sand and read a book…..and open your minds!