Parents overreact to Lego meth lab set

Breaking Bad, the television show infamous for its drug-infused storyline, now has its own Lego-like brick set, complete with a mini Walter White figure and his adorable goatee. Many parents are in uproar over the product, deeming it as inappropriate. But the backlash against this product is unwarranted.

Contrary to popular belief, this product isn’t even manufactured by Lego. It’s a knockoff. Citizen Brick, an independent company that mimics Lego products, produces the crystal meth lab model. Citizen Brick has no affiliation with Lego. In an interview with Wall Street  Journal, Joe Trupia, a Chicago-based artist who runs the alternative brick company, said that Citizen Brick sells Lego-type collectibles not necessarily intended for children.

Take for example its Lego S-and-M bondage figure, “Shame Enthusiast,” and “Botany Enthusiast,” a weed-devotee figure outfitted with a mini bong. These Citizen Brick figurines are clearly not marketed to children. Thus, the overreaction is uncalled for, since they are not the target audience in the first place.

The most outspoken individuals took to Twitter to vent their rage. One tweet called the product, “made for children raised by parents who should know better.” A product from a company intended for an adult audience should not be a concern to parents. A far more logical action is to simply not buy it. Parents have focused their attention in the wrong place.

The influence of media on the nation’s youth is always a subject of much concern and criticism, especially with regard to drugs and violence. Regardless of influence, the responsibility lies with the parents of these child consumers. A show such as Breaking Bad is perhaps not the best choice for family bonding night. Instead of the protest over the distribution of this product, parents must take responsibility for ensuring their children are surrounded with positive influences. Children should not be watching a show like Breaking Bad to begin with, let alone be so invested as to buy a play set based on the series.

The truly shocking aspect of the whole debacle is the price of the brick set itself. With 500 pieces, this set is priced at $250. Comparatively speaking, this is actually an inexpensive set. Some Harry Potter Lego sets sell for $400 or more depending on their rarity. These are not merely toys; there is a fine line between toys and art. The Citizen Brick set clearly fits into the latter.

Following a series conclusion, the best television shows become timeless pieces of our collective culture. With Breaking Bad nearing its season finale, the Citizen Brick item has sold out completely, leaving the company taking orders for future production. The most die-hard Breaking Bad fans have every right to purchase a product based on their favorite show.

Lego bricks have been around since 1949. Since then, Lego’s customer base has grown to include more than just kids. Legos are enjoyed by all ages. Most of the adult-friendly interest in Lego is geared toward art and architecture. Tons of M.C. Escher’s work have been recreated using Lego. There is also a line of Lego Architecture, which allows consumers to recreate famous, complex structures using the tiny bricks, such as Frank Lloyd Wright’s Falling Water. It is clear that Lego itself is not solely a toy for one age demographic.

Despite the criticisms, Citizen Brick remains rightfully undeterred. As Trupia said to the Wall Street Journal, “You’d have to be a pretty precocious kid to build your own meth lab after playing with our set.”

Zoe Haddad is a junior majoring in critical studies and film.

Follow us on Twitter @dailytrojan