Halloween should not include blackface

Last week, actress Julianne Hough caused a media firestorm when she attended a Halloween party dressed as the character Crazy Eyes from the Netflix show Orange is the New Black.  The only problem? She was in blackface.

Unfortunately, Hough’s costume was just one small instance in a recent explosion of some frustrating conversations surrounding the merits of blackface. Besides Hough, photos of Caucasians as Trayvon Martin and white football coaches as the cast of Cool Runnings, all in blackface, have made the rounds.

And though writers, scholars, activists and everyone in between have tried, an important message seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle: Blackface is always racist.

“Why?” Well, there are copious reasons. Let’s try to briefly explain them:

“Racism doesn’t exist anymore!”

Yes, slavery legally ended more than a century ago. Sadly, no matter how progressively Americans would like to view the United States, the effects of slavery still linger in society today. For every African-American in the White House, there’s one who can’t walk home from the store without the fear of getting killed. Racism exists and there’s no denying it. Is the situation better than it was 100 years ago? Of course. Yet it bears mentioning that the Civil Rights Movement only happened around 50 years ago. With each generation, racism shrinks little by little, but to say that it isn’t still an issue is simply ignorant.

“What about reverse racism?”

Reverse racism was a term created to help those who were oppressors cope with the feeling of losing dominance. In fact, using the claim that something is “reverse racism” is pretty racist itself.

Now some Caucasians are upset over the fact that they’re not supposed to say the n-word though African-Americans can. When said in context in the black community, the word means something very similar to “Hey bro!” When a Caucasian person says that word to or about a black person, however, it will always carry a negative connotation. Back in the day, when a Caucasian called a black person the n-word, it did not mean “Sup bro.” Instead it meant, “Hey you less-than-a-human-being-who’s-absolutely-nothing, do this.”

To say that something is reversely racist would be declaring that Caucasians and African-Americans have suffered throughout history on an equal level. Apparently, affirmative action is just as unfair as legal ownership of another person. But as Stanley Fish stated in an article for the Atlantic, “… blacks have not simply been treated unfairly; they have been subjected first to decades of slavery, and then to decades of second-class citizenship, widespread legalized discrimination, economic persecution, educational deprivation, and cultural stigmatization.”

Let’s be frank: The word “unfair” doesn’t even begin to cover it.

“So what does this have to do with blackface?”

Blackface itself has its own lengthy history, but here’s the gist: When people say blackface, it doesn’t just refer to the act of painting one’s face black. In the 19th century, some white actors began to perform skits as black characters, painting their faces dark with red lips. The skits would center around racist stereotypes, filled with gags about blacks acting dumb, loud, obnoxious and the like.

But slavery is not funny. Segregation? Not exactly a knee-slapper. Yet these performances depicted these acts as amusing, and “desensitized Americans to the horrors of chattel slavery,” according to Grio. Instead of cringing in horror over the situation, people laughed. So blackface isn’t just about trying to look black. When someone paints their face black, they’re mocking a culture — whether intentionally or not.

“How can I dress up as someone black and not be racist?”

Just because blackface is racist doesn’t mean you can’t have fun on Halloween. In lieu of painting your face black, try using other means of identifying yourself as the person you’re trying to emulate. Hough could have been easily recognized as Crazy Eyes without the darkening — the hair in knots and prison jumpsuit was obvious enough.

A person of any race could feasibly dress up as Madonna with a cone bra or wedding dress and well-placed mole, or Abraham Lincoln with a tall hat and fake beard — white face paint not needed.

Admittedly, this only skims the surface of the problem. There are far more detailed explanations that dive into the history and moral implications of the issue. But the moral of the story is blackface can be extremely hurtful to a large segment of the population. Rather than saying African Americans need to stop complaining and acting like victims, take a second and think about why they might feel hurt. Contrary to some beliefs, objecting to the idea of blackface doesn’t mean that someone doesn’t have a “sense of humor” or is “too sensitive.” It means that after centuries of subjugation, seeing a physical reminder of a dark period in the nation’s history is the last thing that anyone wants.

And it’s not just blackface. Those who dress as Native Americans or geishas run the risk of offending people as well. It doesn’t matter if the intent is sincerely positive: There is a blurred line between honoring a person or culture and mocking it.

Hopefully, the next time someone decides to paint their face black, they’ll realize what it actually means.

Blackface is racist. End of story.

Sheridan Watson is a senior majoring in critical studies. She is also the co-managing editor of the Daily Trojan.

Follow Sheridan on Twitter @IAmSheridanW

1. White guy
    White guy says:

Just because someone is white doesn’t mean they are an “oppressor”. My ancestors were all white immigrants who came to this country from Europe nearly 50 years after slavery ended. They also all lived in northern and western cities so don’t try to blame them for Jim Crow either.

The majority of whites in America today are descended from people who never so much as lived within a thousand miles of a slave plantation, let alone owned slaves themselves.

To put a broad, blanket blame for slavery on “white people” is to hold a negative stereotype of an entire race based on the actions of a tiny minority of people who happen to be of that race. That is the textbook definition of racism.

Ironic.

• RJ
      RJ says:

^ This so much. In one of my freshman poli sci classes this kid tried to tell me that “you need to accept responsibility for what whites did to blacks in American history”. He was using the plural “you”, as in “you white people” as if we’re all the same. That’s so ignorant and offensive. My parents moved to LA from Armenia in the 1980’s. I had absolutely nothing to do with slavery and neither did they. Don’t you dare try to lump me in with a bunch of rich slaveowners in the 1800’s Southern U.S. just because they had roughly the same shade of skin pigmentation as me. They weren’t even ethnically from the same part of Europe for gods sake.

Slavery was an abomination and like any decent American I look at that era with disgust, but if you think I’m gonna feel any personal guilt for it you’re out of your mind.

2. Ras
    Ras says:

I know many Korean families who own markets in South LA who have been robbed at gun point by black thugs. In addition to robbery – where these Asian also victims of racism because the thugs were black and the victim was Asian? It is always funny to hear the Oprah’s , Obama’s, Shaprton’s complain how racist a society the US is – when they have achieved a level of success unmatched in probably any other corner of the world…

It is so refreshing to use Halloween as another opportunity to play a victim of racism again. I guess in a few more weeks we will also hear about the oppressive discussions about Christmas monopolizing the holidays instead of Kwanza… Remember everyone – whoever can cry victim loudest wins!

3. Jerry D
    Jerry D says:

“For every African-American in the White House, there’s one who can’t walk home from the store without the fear of getting killed.” What a ridiculous observation.

4. Mc
    Mc says:

Believing you are a victim of racism or someone else is racist requires you to believe that the offending party has authority or power over you. I simply see it as dumb or silly.

5. Anonymous
    Anonymous says:

^Agree with MJ here. This article tells me NOTHING about something that just happened in the media, instead preferring an over-simplified summary of common responses to the problem of racism. I especially take issue with the “reverse racism” “explanation”… Does these mean that we have to assume ALL caucasians feel to blame for historical injustice? Does this somehow entitle them to discriminate against caucasians in return? Against Hispanics? Against Asians? or any other group?
    In summary, this article hardly seems worthy of the sort of intellectual discussion befitting a college campus. And by that, I mean, “An actress did this, which was reprehensible, but anyone who disagrees with me is ignorant and implicated in centuries of historiacl racism.”

6. Grateful
    Grateful says:

Thanks for this article, Sheridan. It’s sad that this needed to be said, but ignorance abounds on this campus and I hope your piece helped deter any plans to use blackface this Halloween at USC. One additional comment: “Reverse racism” is a problematic term for an even simpler reason: it implies that the “normal” form of racism is that of Caucasians against African Americans. This is ahistorical and just linguistically unfounded. It also perpetuates the idea that that power relation is somehow natural, and that the “reverse” is a perversion. Racism is prejudice, and blackface is one grotesque example. The idea that Halloween without it wouldn’t be “fun” is terrifying. Who’s having fun here? To the commenter who declared this article “over sensitive” and said Hough wasn’t wearing blackface–maybe you need a history lesson, and/or an eye exam. You don’t have the right to mock and exploit a group of people. That’s what some like to call progress.

7. MJ
    MJ says:

This is bullshit and over sensitive. I wouldn’t even start to classify Hough’s makeup as being blackface. It is not mockery, it is a costume of a very respected character.

• A
      A says:

You obviously don’t know the history behind blackface. Just because her makeup was brown does not mean that she didn’t make the deliberate decision to darken her skin. Everything about her costume said “Crazy Eyes.” Why did she feel the need to resort to a historically offensive trope to put it together? It was unnecessary, insensitive and racist. Period. “Very respected character?” Blackface is the definition of disrespect.

Maybe you should do your research on blackface before you dismiss opinions as being “over sensitive.”