UCSD Trump chalkings are latest case of racism

Congratulations again to Donald Trump, who has once more successfully received the negative national attention his campaign so clearly craves. Earlier this week, UC San Diego became the latest scene in a string of pro-Trump chalkings, in which racially motivated and hateful messages could be found on university grounds — most recently (and unsurprisingly) in front of the Raza Resource Centro, a resource center for Latinx and Chicanx  students.

The perpetrators were probably, like many of the chalkings themselves, white, and also like the chalkings, unintelligent and painfully unoriginal. UCSD is the second campus in the past month to see this type of vandalism.

But the underlying cause goes back much further than that. Back all the way to early American history: The year was 1676, and the event was Bacon’s Rebellion. Poor, white frontiersmen were threatened by constant Native American attacks. Dissatisfied with the landed gentry’s dismissal of their safety concerns, poor whites allied with the gentry’s black slaves to rise up against the wealthy elite. After the insurrection was put down, the Southern upper class disseminated messages of racist hatred to the white lower classes — they might be poor, but at least they weren’t black. It was intended to prevent the alliance of poor whites with poor blacks in fear that they would overpower rich whites. The lower class ate up the message of God-given, inherent superiority, and a critical piece of American racism was born.  Trump has mobilized the white working class in exactly the same manner — except his target is not the black community. It is the Hispanic one.

Dissatisfied by unemployment, poverty and a lack of educational opportunity — all self-fulfilling prophecies, really, when any community of the working class votes red — Trump used that betrayal of the political elite to cultivate a vitriol the likes of which we haven’t seen in decades, creating a loaded gun aimed prominently at the ballooning Hispanic-American population. They are taking all your jobs, they are filling your classes — even when they are just as American as you. But, as Trump tacitly teaches his supporters, you’re white and they’re not. And it’s time you were first in line again.

So, from a sociopolitical standpoint, it’s very easy to see why these chalkings occur. This is the brilliant manifestation of the attempt by the not-so-brilliant white community to redirect their anger away from themselves and their (again) not-so-brilliant political decisions and blanket it onto a group to call the evil “other.” Because let’s face it — even if President Trump did build a wall, poor whites would never take the menial labor jobs its construction would offer.

Some argue that condemning such chalkings are somehow a freedom of speech issue, even though their clearly racist messages (“f-ck Mexicans”; “deport them all”) are in direct violation of campus codes of conduct. Others would say that college students are simply “oversensitive,” that our desire to keep our living and learning space — which we pay for — free of racially motivated violence and ignorant hatred is somehow a testament to “this generation” and its incorrigible immaturity. To the angry, divorced white grandfather who rants about the sensitivity of the iPhone generation: It is not a mark of immaturity to take the deplorable actions that were once acceptable in your time and decide quite largely, as a society, that they are no longer acceptable. I’m sure these chalkings pale in comparison to the homophobic and racist slurs you used to be allowed to throw around at football practice. But the rest of us realize that backlash against these vandalisms demarcates something important: progress, in what is perhaps the most diverse and divided society of the Western world.

So take it this way: If you’re bothered by the fact that UCSD students came out in droves on all platforms of social media and in person to stand against the racism proliferated by the Trump campaign, you are, whether you like it or not, being swept along feet-first by the tide of progress and hopefully it will eventually drown your tacit racism.

But to those who see these actions for what they are, and seek to stand against them — do. We must express great appreciation for students at Emory University and UCSD who chose to oppose racial divisiveness. I would urge all educated and worldly students to show those who sought to make Hispanic students feel alien that they are the ones who are unwelcome on our campuses. We will teach them that making America “great again” would only truly be possible had America already been great — and this greatness is undeniably due to the roles played by Latinx and Chicanx Americans throughout this nation’s history. So, to those who chalked UCSD, please, chalk again — and know that your desperate messages of misdirected anger are falling on deaf ears.

Lily Vaughan is a freshman majoring in history and political science. Her column, “Playing Politics,” runs  Fridays.

1. BostonTW
    BostonTW says:

What an idiotic screed. I would love to see Tommy Trojan wearing a Make America Great Again cap!

2. Ilona Bodnar
    Ilona Bodnar says:

Excellent article. Really liked the analogy to Bacon’s Rebellion and how it put things in perspective historically. Thanks for closing off with a message that resonates (hopefully) regardless of political inclination; “I urge all educated and worldly students to show those who sought to make Hispanic students feel alien that they are the ones who are unwelcome on our campuses.”

3. Lil Gochu
    Lil Gochu says:

This is a change in times folks. SC was an apolitical, somewhat conservative leaning school….but I guess the “hip” zeitgeist is to be liberal. I mean, it’s the college spirit…right?

4. omar
    omar says:

Another Social Justice Warrior labelling everything as racism? Not surprising.

GO TRUMP!! 2016!!!

5. Eastside School
    Eastside School says:

What do you suppose would happen in a country where a hostile ruling elite controlled both political parties and owned every presidential candidate? Every presidential candidate except one….

6. Howard Rabbit
    Howard Rabbit says:

A freshman majoring in history and political science? That explains it… Did she also use this article for her midterm paper in White Supremasist Theory 101?

7. Benjamin Roberts
    Benjamin Roberts says:

Not only does Lily attempt to fight racism with racism, but apparently she fights anger and vitriol with anger and vitriol. This entire piece is written with tones of anger, disgust, speculation, sarcasm and hatred. It reminds me of the many groups who attempt to fight segregation by, in fact, segregating themselves. It was difficult and almost pointless to read beyond the first paragraph as her credibility, wisdom and maturity were all undermined by her intentional misspelling of words like Latino and Chicano, using an “x” to suggest that the scientific fundamentals of gender should no longer apply. (Spell check may not have flagged her, but I sure will: This is one young lady whose opinion on anything deserves caution and scrutiny.)

To be clear: Institutional racism in this country is all but dead, yet individual racism persists. This is the regrettable result of a free and open society such as ours is. Hateful chalk drawings like this are proof, and we should speak out against it when we see it. But returning with anger and hatred against straight white men, or abandoning science by suggesting gender is a state of mind, is not the answer. A lot of good, intelligent and reasonable people are fed up with the constant flow of illegal immigration to our country. A lot of good, intelligent and reasonable people are fed up with things like driver’s licenses and law degrees being available to illegal immigrants. A lot of good, intelligent and reasonable people are fed up with Muslims targeting people around the world with acts of terror. A lot of good, intelligent and reasonable people are fed up with being told that they might encounter someone of the opposite sex in a public restroom with them. And most importantly… A lot of good, intelligent and reasonable people are fed up with being told that these feelings are somehow wrong or inappropriate, and that they are racist, homophobic or xenophobic for having them!

Young ladies like Lily will hopefully learn to take a recess from her own hatred and anger to try to understand why people feel the way they feel, and to learn what cultural and political realities lead to people’s anger and frustration. I have found that the best way to fight racism is actually not to point fingers, but instead to look in the mirror at one’s own behaviour. Changing how I behave has a great affect on the behaviour of those around me.

Nothing excuses racist behaviour, but we certainly need to change our approach in fighting it.

8. Jim Johnson
    Jim Johnson says:

“This is the brilliant manifestation of the attempt by the
    not-so-brilliant white community to redirect their anger away from
    themselves and their (again) not-so-brilliant political decisions and
    blanket it onto a group to call the evil “other.””

So Lily, in your screed against racism, you apparently feel completely comfortable making blatantly racist remarks about the “white community”. You also have no difficulty making stereotypic comments about “the angry, divorced white grandfather who rants”. How do you justify using this type of inflammatory, racist, and gender-discriminatory language when you are so concerned about making a “stand against…racism”?
    Since you obviously have no problem making hateful, derogatory statements about entire classes of people I am left to conclude that you are a bigot