How much does anti-gay rhetoric set back the GOP?

As students at a college with a vibrant queer community, we hear a lot about lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered activism. We can recognize the relevance of LGBT rights in the upcoming presidential election. An unfortunate truth, however, is that the current focus of campaign media coverage — the Republican party — has featured repeated attempts to shoulder this component out of the picture.

Alissa Masutani | Daily Trojan

I question how any student who supports LGBT rights could stand behind the Republican Party. Most students are receptive to LGBT issues: a 2011 poll conducted by the UCLA Higher Education Research Institute indicated that 71.3 percent of college freshmen nationwide support same-sex marriage. Given the sentiments of our demographic and the prominent role many college students play in the LGBT movement, it is vital we stand behind a presidential candidate who does not wish to hold back the movement’s progress.

During the Florida primary debate last week, Republican candidate Rick Santorum vocalized his adamant belief that the repeal of don’t ask, don’t tell was a mistake. Santorum demonstrated an embarrassingly weak grasp of the issue when he asserted that the repeal was an endorsement of “sexual acts” in the military.

Santorum seems to think that allowing LGBT individuals in the military to come out awards them special privileges. One has to wonder how he worked that out, considering the only way this right could be called a special privilege is if straight soldiers were not allowed to “come out” as straight.

The most distressing part about Santorum’s comments, however, is not the content — it is the reaction of his Republican audience. It began before Santorum even opened his mouth: The audience produced audible boos in response to the video of Army Capt. Stephen Hill asking a question regarding the progress made for gays in the military.

The fact that any audience member booed an honorable member of the American military is disturbing. Even worse: He was booed for asking a relevant question regarding basic human rights.

Santorum’s comments suggest outright homophobia, but the other presidential candidates are not much better. No Republican has expressed outward support for the LGBT community.

Other campaign issues are equally relevant, but it is difficult not to question the judgment of someone who does not even demonstrate respect for the equal rights of all citizens.

Equality is one of the central tenets of American democracy. Such disregard for equality spawns domestic unrest and prevents America from tackling these other problems with a capable and unified citizenry.

College students should not allow our nation to be led in the direction of bigotry; otherwise, we could spend our lifetimes cleaning up the mess.

Francesca Bessey is a freshman majoring in narrative studies. Point/Counterpoint runs Fridays. 

For a different perspective on this topic, click here.
  1. Publius
    Publius says:

Ms. Berry, remind us again, where does President Obama stand on gay marriage? And is he, or is he not, as a presidential candidate, holding back, as you would say, “the movement’s progress”?

You’re also factually wrong. The incident with CPT Hill occurred on September 22nd. But since when would silly things like facts get in the way of liberal talking points?

2. Jack
    Jack says:

A proud Trojan??? If that was the case I’m not sure you would choose to personally attack a student based on an opinion column. Why don’t you keep your comments focused on the issues and not worry about what her major is? A proud idiot maybe…….

• Moderate
      Moderate says:

Those are old school Trojans. Ask those who attended here, say, 20+ years ago. You’ll know what I mean. SC has recently jumped on the political-activism-progressive-ideology bandwagon. That school across town along with all its sister campuses have been on since day one.

3. Bob Barnwell
    Bob Barnwell says:

I am a proud Trojan alum. First, I don’t get Berry’s description of a “vibrant queer community.” Where I live this would be a derogatory description of gays. Second, I do not consider it bigoted to oppose gay marriage, but to support civil unions that provide essentially the same civil rights. Third, as Berry matures, she will I hope meet and appreciate many fiscal conservative and pro-family pro-life gay Republicans. Finally, I must ask what in the world is “majoring in narrative studies”? I suggest that you choose a real major that will land you a real career so that you will contribute to rebuilding America’s economy and not be a lifelong drain on us like so many today. Marshall SOB is a good place to look.