Letter to the editor

USC should make fresh food and non-bottled water more accessible. 

I strongly agree with Tim Clayton’s opinion column “USC promotes healthy eating, doesn’t deliver,” published Feb. 7. Though the university might encourage nutrition with its words, it fails to make healthy food available and affordable for students. USC Hospitality should immediately make two sweeping policy changes: Serve more fresh vegetables in the dining halls and make water a viable drink option in the food courts.

First, The Parkside Restaurant and EVK Restaurant and Grill should serve more fresh vegetables in their buffets. How is it that rice and potatoes can be served in three to five different dishes, but it is rare to find even a single dish of steamed broccoli or some other vegetable?

Second, food courts, such as Café 84 and the Ronald Tutor Campus Center, should begin offering larger cups for students to drink water. The current cups are tiny — barely 8 oz., maybe even smaller. The university sells bottles of water and offers tiny cups purely to drive more profit. Why punish students who want to drink healthy, save money and prevent the waste of large plastic bottles of water?

These two changes would be a small start in improving students’ diets, but they would offer great benefits to students and would prove that the university is serious about getting healthy.

John Timms

Freshman, undeclared

1. Anon
    Anon says:

I wish The type of menu served at galen dining hall was available all over campus. Either that or a bigger fresher salad bar in the student center similar to the one at cafe 84. Why is it so hard to serve healthy options and instead pack in fast food chains?

2. Heidi
    Heidi says:

Good points John although Parkside is 5 stars compared to EVK at 2 stars. Why aren’t all cafeterias like Parkside? Don’t get it.